Posts with #technology tag
When your enterprises or organization are going to choose the Cisco ASR 1000 Series, you should know these Cisco ASR 1000 Series Enterprise and Service Provider Applications.
Cisco ASR 1000 Series routers sit at the edge of your enterprise data center or large office connecting to the WAN, as well as in service provider points of presence (POPs). The Cisco ASR 1000 Series will benefit the following types of customers:
- Enterprises experiencing explosive network traffic as mobility, cloud networking, and video and collaboration usage increase: Cisco ASRs consolidate these various traffic streams and apply traffic management and redundancy properties to them to maintain consistent performance among enterprise sites and cloud locations.
- Network service providers needing to deliver high-performance services, such as DCI and branch-office server aggregation, to business customers: Service providers can also use the multiservice routers to deploy hosted and managed services to business and multimedia services to residential customers.
- Existing Cisco 7200 Series Router (end-of-sale) customers looking for simple migration to a new multiservice platform that delivers greater performance with the same design.
Tables2 and Table3 describe enterprise and service provider application examples, respectively.
Table2. Cisco ASR 1000 Series Enterprise Applications
WAN edge: Guarantee high-priority applications by creating a virtual “glass ceiling” for lower-priority applications. Improve user experiences.
● Applies Modular QoS CLI (MQC) policies on VLANs or tunnels
● Limits an arbitrary collection of low‑priority traffic to a certain bandwidth
● Classifies based on differentiated services code point (DSCP), Network-Based Application Recognition (NBAR), and Cisco IOS Cisco IOS FPM (FPM) into numerous hierarchies, one for high priority and one for low priority
● Implements flexible hierarchies
● Supports 464,000 queues
● Allows all queues to have a minimum, maximum, and excess bandwidth with priority propagation
Multiservice, scalable, and secure headend:
IP Security (IPsec) VPN aggregation scales to meet the new bandwidth demands of service provider IP VPNs.
● Reduces capital expenditures (CapEx) and operating expenses (OpEx) by migrating and consolidating to fewer Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers
● Protects investment through easy transition to much higher encryption support, offering encryption support of up to 78 Gbps with the 200-Gbps Cisco ASR 1000 Series ESP (ASR1000-ESP200)
● Offers easier management through embedded security services in the Cisco Flow Processor, with no additional service modules or blades required
● Optimized for QoS and IP Multicast applications
● Supports thousands of sites
● Supports 8,000 IPsec tunnels
● Offers up to 78-Gbps encryption performance and up to 200-Gbps noncryptographic throughput support with the Cisco ASR 1000 Series 200-Gbps Embedded Services Processor
Embedded high-speed firewall:
With the Zone-Based Policy Firewall, the Cisco ASR 1000 Series acts as an implicit and complete barrier between any interfaces not members of the same zone. An explicit zone-pair policy must be specified (using Cisco Policy Language; that is, MQC) in each direction between each zone pair. The policy establishes within the router the kind of stateful inspection (Layer 4, Layer 7, or application) and session parameters to apply to each zone pairing.
Example: An explicit policy allowing HTTP and Domain Name System (DNS) to traverse the Internet-demilitarized zone (DMZ) zone boundary would be required.
● The firewall is embedded in the Cisco Flow Processor; no additional service blades or modules are required.
● Multiple gigabits of bandwidth are routed while at the same time the router performs Zone‑Based Policy Firewall and other baseline features such as QoS, IPv4, IPv6, NetFlow, and others.
● The Cisco ASR 1000 Series provides logging of all firewall session states off to network management applications capable of accepting relatively huge amounts of flow data. Third-party applications can handle the session data.
● Provides firewall performance of 2.5 to 200 Gbps, depending on the ESP used
● Offers high-speed logging of 40,000 sessions per second with NetFlow Version 9
Managed CPE: This implementation of branch-office architecture offers powerful investment protection with services and scale.
● Managed customer premises equipment (CPE) helps branch offices route correctly over various types of Ethernet to comply with service-level agreements (SLAs).
● This application encrypts multiple gigabits of bandwidth without any additional service blades or modules.
● Managed CPE optimizes the WAN to route around brownouts in the service provider network to further guarantee mission-critical applications.
● This application offers small form factors (1 rack unit [1RU] for the Cisco ASR 1001-X and ASR 1001-HX and 2RUs for the Cisco ASR 1002-HX and ASR 1002-X Routers), including software modularity and ISSU.
● Note: ISSU is not supported on Cisco ASR 1001-X, ASR 1001-HX, ASR 1002-HX, ASR 1002-X, or ASR 1004. Managed CPE offers accessibility even when the Cisco IOS Software is down.
● Offers first-in-industry software redundancy support, without any additional hardware module, on Cisco ASR 1001-X, ASR 1001-HX, ASR 1002-HX, ASR 1002-X, and ASR 1004; hardware redundancy and ISSU are supported on the Cisco ASR 1006 and ASR 1013.
● Offers powerful firewall and NAT performance of 2.5 to 200 Gbps and 1.8- to 78-Gbps encryption support in addition to WAN optimization and voice features
Table3. Cisco ASR 1000 Series Service Provider Applications
Broadband L2TP Access Concentrator (LAC) or L2TP Network Server (LNS):
The solution offers Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) endpoint-to-tunnel
● The application is ideal for triple-play (data, voice, and video) wholesale deployments.
● It offers integral service delivery.
● Per-user firewall, session border controller (SBC), etc. are supported.
● Provides very high scalability of up to 64,000 subscribers and up to 16,000 tunnels
Service provider edge: Layer 3 VPN (L3VPN) provider edge:
Example: You can deploy the solution at the distributed provider edge or provider edge in global VPN networks for bandwidth demands such as asymmetric DSL (ADSL), T1/E1, STM-1, STM-4, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, etc.
● The application provides integral services in the Cisco Flow Processor.
● It provides encryption, FPM, NBAR, SBC, IP Multicast, etc.
● Offers excellent multicast performance
● Scales to 8,000 Virtual Route Forwarding (VRF) instances, 1 million Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) labels, and 4,000 access control lists (ACLs)
● Supports up to 4 million IPv4 routes
● Supports up to 4 million IPv6 routes
Service provider edge: High-end route reflector:
You can use the solution as a route reflector for bandwidth support of 40 Gbps.
● The application provides high scalability.
● It offers a modular design of the route processor and ESP with hardware and software redundancy.
● Scales up to 29 million IPv4 routes
● Supports 64,000 Layer 3 adjacencies
Next-generation voice and multimedia example: Cisco Unified Border Element Enterprise Edition (ENT Edition):
The SBC application (named Cisco Unified Border Element [ENT Edition]) performs the voice and video gateway functions simultaneously with regular IP data services. No appliance or additional service blade is required. The control protocols and media protocols work transparently within a complex voice architecture. For more information, refer to the CUBE data sheet at http://www.cisco.com/go/cube.
● Secure and authenticated Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunk connections enable service providers to offer real-time voice and video services.
● The WAN edge is simpler to manage because there is only one egress and one ingress point for access to Internet or service provider services.
● The control plane is separated from the data-forwarding plane, so the signaling and control processes are separate from media processing.
● The CUBE SBC application can be used for SIP trunk video and/or audio services provided by service providers or for Internet-accessible SIP line-side services to Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
● Facilitates SBC with security, QoS, IPv4, and IPv6 (IP Unicast and IP Multicast simultaneously)
● Supports 16,000 simultaneous voice calls and multimedia data of up to 200 Gbps with accounting, firewall, and call quality enabled
● Integrated with inbox high-availability infrastructure and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Relay
Today the Storage plays a more and more important role in the data center: from storing email messages and documents to saving business-critical information, intellectual property, and transaction detail. As businesses continue to become more connected, the old ways of storing and archiving data are changing to accommodate growing amounts of data and demand for anytime, anywhere access to information.
Historically, IT organizations transitioned from systems with individual disk drives to storage arrays that allowed disk drives to be grouped together to form a larger area of capacity. When fast and easy access to more capacity was needed, storage area networks (SANs) and network attached storage (NAS) emerged to deliver capacity over the network. More recently, integrated systems and hyper-converged infrastructure have been added to networks to simplify resource acquisition and deployment and facilitate easy scaling. As companies try to balance storage access, performance, and cost, software-defined storage is becoming more popular, taking this evolution a step farther.
Software-defined storage is the next phase of server virtualization technology, moving beyond virtual machines to virtual data stores. It combines industry-standard x86-architecture servers that are optimized for direct-attached storage (DAS) with a distributed software abstraction layer. This intelligent software transforms systems into a single, logical pool of cost-effective, scale-out storage resources that are easily integrated and managed within your data center.
Cisco Solutions for Software-Defined Storage
Our solutions provide the storage flexibility you need to support growing amounts of data and deliver fast access to information and innovation. You can choose from a variety of systems and expansion cards according to the capacity and performance needs of your users and applications. Our modular approach lets you:
• Reduce risk and complexity: You need confidence that your software-defined infrastructure will work right the first time. Cisco’s collaboration and validation with a large partner ecosystem of software vendors gives you a choice of proven solutions and reference architectures while helping your IT staff integrate storage innovation with your IT processes and business applications at low risk. As a result, you can easily procure the solution you need and accelerate implementation and deployment.
Cisco Solutions Deliver the Foundation for Software-Defined Storage Deployments
- File, block, and object storage
- Email servers
- Collaboration environments
- Video surveillance archiving
- Content distribution networks
- Data protection solutions
- Private cloud storage
• Gain versatility: The Cisco Unified Computing System (Cisco UCS) portfolio offers a variety of server options for rightsizing your software-defined storage deployments. You can deploy Cisco UCS C-Series Rack Servers to support many common storage scenarios, and use Cisco UCS S-Series Storage Servers when you need highly scalable and available storage infrastructure (Figure 1).
• Scale on demand: You can scale the storage capacity, performance, and protocols used in your software-defined storage infrastructure at your pace and with a smaller increment of scale than with traditional large-scale storage solutions. With the flexibility to choose what to scale and when to scale it, you can start with a small configuration and expand to petabytes of capacity, and you can distribute I/O operations among servers to accelerate I/O operations.
• Improve the efficiency of your IT operations: Cisco UCS Manager provides the automation you need to be efficient. Role- and policybased management makes it easy to deploy terabytes to petabytes of storage capacity in minutes. Cisco UCS service profiles and storage profiles extend these capabilities, allowing you to specify the ways that servers and disk drives should be identified, configured, connected, and used. You can configure hundreds of storage servers as easily as you can configure one, in a repeatable manner.
• Reduce vendor lock-in: Whether you need to support a remote or branch office or a large enterprise data center, our broad ecosystem of partners offers what you need. We work together to test, validate, and document joint solutions so that you can get your softwaredefined storage solutions up and running quickly and with confidence.
Next Steps Call your Cisco sales representative or authorized partner to find out how Cisco UCS solutions can help you create the best software-defined storage solution for your business and applications.
More Related Topics
LAN Base, IP Base and IP Services these 3 features are available with all Cisco Catalyst 3850 models. What are their features?
2. The IP Base feature set provides entry-level enterprise services in addition to all LAN Base features, with 1K VLANs. IP Base also includes the support for wireless controller functionality (mobility agent and mobility controller role; additional access point license required for mobility controller role), routed access, smart operations, FNF, and so on.
3. The IP Services feature set provides full enterprise services that include advanced Layer 3 features such as EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, PIM, and IPv6 routing such as OSPFv3 and EIGRPv6. All software feature sets support advanced security and MQC-based QoS.
The Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches with LAN Base feature set can only stack with other Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series LAN Base switches. The same applies to IP Base and IP Services as well. A mixed stack of LAN Base switch with IP Base or IP Services feature set is not supported.
The 12-port and 24-port SFP+- and SFP-based models as well as the 48-port SFP+ model can only be ordered with IP Base or IP Services licenses. Therefore, in order to stack with LAN Base models, they need to be configured in LAN Base mode from the CLI.
Customers can transparently upgrade the software feature set in the Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches through Cisco IOS Software CLI using the right to use (RTU)-based software upgrade process. Software activation enables the Cisco IOS Software feature sets. Based on the license’s type, Cisco IOS Software activates the appropriate feature set. License types can be changed, or upgraded, to activate a different feature set.
Software Policy for Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches
Customers with Cisco Catalyst LAN Base and IP Base software feature sets will be provided with maintenance updates and bug fixes designed to maintain the compliance of the software with published specifications, release notes, and industry standards compliance as long as the original end user continues to own or use the product or up to one year from the end-of-sale date for this product, whichever occurs earlier. Customers with licenses for our IP Services software images require a service support contract such as Cisco SMARTnet Service to download updates. This policy supersedes any previous warranty or software statement and is subject to change without notice.
Cisco ONE Software for Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series
Cisco ONE Software for Access Switching is available for the Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches.
Cisco ONE Software is a new way for customers to purchase and use our infrastructure software. It offers a simplified consumption model, centered on common customer scenarios in the data center, WANs, and LANs.
Cisco ONE Software and services provide customers with four primary benefits:
- Software suites that address typical customer use scenarios at an attractive price
- Investment protection of their software purchase through software services-enabled license portability
- Access to ongoing innovation and new technology with Cisco Software Support Service (SWSS)
- Flexible licensing models to smoothly distribute customer's software spend over time
For ordering information for Cisco ONE Software for the Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches, go to http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/software/one-access/switching-part-numbers.html.
Licenses for Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches
Cisco Catalyst 3850 12-port IP Base to IP Services RTU paper license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 24-port Switch LAN Base to IP Base RTU paper license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 48-port Switch LAN Base to IP Base RTU paper license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 24-port LAN Base to IP Services RTU paper license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 48-port LAN Base to IP Services RTU paper license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 24-port IP Base to IP Services RTU paper license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 48-port IP Base to IP Services RTU paper license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 24-port LAN Base to IP Base RTU electronic license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 48-port LAN Base to IP Base RTU electronic license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 24-port LAN Base to IP Services RTU electronic license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 48-port LAN Base to IP Services RTU electronic license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 24-port IP Base to IP Services RTU electronic license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 48-port IP Base to IP Services RTU electronic license
Cisco Catalyst 3850 12-port IP Base to IP Services RTU electronic license
Primary upgrade license SKU for Cisco 3850 wireless controller (e-delivery)
1 access point adder license for Cisco IOS Software based wireless controller (e-delivery)
Primary upgrade license SKU for Cisco 3850 wireless controller (paper license)
1 access point adder license for the Cisco IOS Software based wireless controller (paper license)
Access Point License for Cisco Catalyst 3850: An access point license is required for Cisco Catalyst 3850 operating in mobility controller mode. No access point license is required for 3850 operating in mobility agent mode. This functionality is included in the IP Base feature set. Other devices that can act as mobility controller are the WLC 5760, WLC 5508, and WiSM2 wireless controllers. Access point licenses can be transferred only between two 3850 switches or between 3850 and 5760 controller and vice versa.
More info here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-720918.html?referring_site=RE&pos=1&page=http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/qa_c67-722110.html
Do you know something about the Cisco Catalyst 6900 Series 40 Gigabit Ethernet Interface Module for Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches? Such as Cisco WS-X6904-40G-2T.
The module is designed to meet the increasing demand for aggregation of 10 Gigabit Ethernet on campus and data center, as well as for high-density 10 Gigabit Ethernet and 40 Gigabit Ethernet transport in the core.
Each port can accept a 40 Gigabit Ethernet C Form-Factor Pluggable (CFP) optics module or be converted to four ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet with a FourX adapter, enabling customers to deploy 10 Gigabit Ethernet to meet current needs and be ready to transition to 40 Gigabit Ethernet without any disruption. The module can also be used in mixed mode, where one side of the card uses two CFP modules for 2 times 40 Gigabit Ethernet ports and the other side uses two FourX adapters for 8 times 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
The Cisco Catalyst 6900 Series 4-Port 40 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module is compatible only with Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 2T.
Cisco Catalyst 6900 Series 4-port 40 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module can operate in a number of modes. Performance mode enables 80 Gigabit Ethernet performance by using two ports without oversubscription. In Oversubscribed mode, the module uses four ports with 2:1 oversubscription.
The 4-Port 40 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module provides up to 44 x 40 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber ports in a single Cisco Catalyst 6513-E chassis and 88 x 40 Gigabit Ethernet ports in a Cisco Catalyst 6500 Virtual Switching System (VSS) 4T. The module has two 40-Gbps connections (for a total of 80 Gbps) to the 2-Tbps switch fabric of the Cisco Catalyst Supervisor Engine 2T, providing 2:1 oversubscription when all four ports of 40 Gigabit Ethernet or 16 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports are active.
Cisco Catalyst 6904 modules support two types of CFP optics: CFP-40G-LR4 and CFP-40G-SR4, providing operational distances of up to 10-km over single-mode fiber and 100m over OM3 multimode fiber, respectively. FourX adapters support a variety of Small Form-Factor Pluggable Plus (SFP+) optics
Pluggable Optics for Cisco Catalyst 6900 Series 4-Port 40 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module
CFP Part Number
Maximum Distance and Cable Type
100m over OM3 multi-mode fiber, MPO connector
10 km over single-mode fiber, SC duplex connector
FourX coverter to convert each 40GE port into 4 10GE SFP+ ports
For up-to-date information about the end-of-life and end-of-sale status of Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch compatible transceivers, visit: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/prod_eol_notices_list.html.
Each of the 40/10 Gigabit Ethernet ports supports Cisco TrustSec technology and IEEE 802.1ae (MACsec) encryption. The 40/10 Gigabit Ethernet ports also support Security Group Access Control Lists (SGACL), also known as Role-Based Access Control Lists (RBACL), and both Layer 2 and Layer 3 Security Group Tagging (SGT) functionality.
More Cisco Optics Module Topics
The Cisco Catalyst 6904 4-Port 40 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module, fully compliant with the IEEE 802.3ba standard, complements this product portfolio.
The module also supports Virtual Switch Link (VSL) on all ports in both Oversubscribed mode and Performance mode.
Take a Look at WS-X6908-10G-2T or 2TXL-Feature of 6900 Series 8-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Modules