New Catalyst Products-Catalyst 9200 switches & Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller
Cisco announced two big additions to its Catalyst 9000 family: the Catalyst 9200 switch and the Catalyst 9800 wireless LAN controller.
The Cisco Catalyst 9000 Series was built from the ground up for intent-based networking. It runs on a single, open, programmable OS that powers all access and WAN products. This allows Cisco customers to turn on new software innovations faster, simplify IT operations, and lower costs.
A single software controller automates the entire network, while programmable ASICs provide unmatched investment protection. And security is embedded into the network, instead of bolted on.
By extending the Catalyst 9000 Family to wireless deployments and mid-market customers, Cisco is bringing the new era of networking to even more customers. New products include:
- New Wireless Controller: For the first time, customers can run consistent security, automation and analytics services across wired and wireless environments by leveraging the same OS. The Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller can be run anywhere—on premise, in any cloud, or embedded virtually on Catalyst 9000 switches. It supports today’s wireless standards and is ready for the 802.11ax standard. It also elevates wireless services with software updates without disruption, new threat defense and advanced programmability.
- Two models are available:
- Catalyst 9800-40--scales up to 2,000 APs, 32,000 clients and offers 40 Gbps throughput
- Catalyst 9800-80--scales up to 6,000 APs, 64,000 clients and offers 80 Gbps throughput
- New Mid-Market Switch: The Catalyst 9200 switches extend intent-based networking to simple branch deployments and mid-market customers. For the first time, the mid-market gets access to the full suite of enterprise services, all at a similar price point as the previous generation of Cisco switches. Simplicity without compromise. And with the security and resiliency customers have come to expect from the Catalyst family.
- Up to 48 ports of full Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) capability
- Resiliency with Field-Replaceable Units (FRU) and redundant power supply, fans, and modular uplinks
- flexible downlink options with data or PoE+
- Operational efficiency with optional backplane stacking, supporting stacking bandwidth up to 160 Gbps
- UADP 2.0 Mini with integrated CPU offers customers optimized scale with better cost structure
- Enhanced security with AES-128 MACsec encryption, policy-based segmentation, and trustworthy systems
- Layer 3 capabilities, including OSPF, EIGRP, ISIS, RIP, and routed access
- Advanced network monitoring using Full Flexible NetFlow
- Cisco Software-Defined Access (SD-Access): Simplified operations and deployment with policy-based automation from edge to cloud managed with Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE); Network assurance and improved resolution time through Cisco DNA Center
The new switches use Cisco's own ASIC and run the same OS that powers all of the company's access and WAN products.
Availability, Services and Support
- The Catalyst 9800 Wireless Controllers will be available in Q4CY18
- The Catalyst 9200L switches will be available in Q4CY18, with the Catalyst 9200 switches available in Q1CY19
- Cisco and its partners offer a full lifecycle of services to help customers streamline the journey to truly intent-based networks.